Just recently I hosted Dr. Gad Saad, professor of evolutionary psychology and author of The Consuming Instinct: What Juicy Burgers, Ferraris, Pornography, and Gift Giving Reveal About Human Nature.
About the book from Amazon.com: In this highly informative and entertaining book “The Consuming Instinct: What Juicy Burgers, Ferraris, Pornography, and Gift Giving Reveal About Human Nature”, the founder of the vibrant new field of evolutionary consumption illuminates the relevance of our biological heritage to our daily lives as consumers. While culture is important, the author shows that innate evolutionary forces deeply influence the foods we eat, the gifts we offer, the cosmetics and clothing styles we choose to make ourselves more attractive to potential mates, and even the cultural products that stimulate our imaginations (such as art, music, and religion).
Topics covered in the talk:
- [01:30] What is stopping behavior?
- [05:00] Why some think biology doesn’t apply to humans.
- [7:20] Taking an anecdote and mistakenly using it as a generality
- [8:50] The method of Evolutionary Psychology: Proximate and Ultimate explanations, building cumulative data from multiple sources, and unity of knowledge.
- [14:27] Biological roots of toy preferences.
- [19:20] Men’s evolved preference for an hourglass figure.
- [25:20] Are consumers born or made?
- [27:00] EP can be used to explain cultural differences.
- [28:50] The variety effect that causes us to consume more.
- [30:50] How men “peacock” (Difference between natural and sexual selection).
- [32:40] Why the super rich drive normal cars?
- [35:35] The halo effect of driving a sports car can have on relationships.
- [39:50] How the status of car you drives determine if people will honk at your car.
- [43:25] Parental resemblance to assure paternity.
- [47:00] Wedding gifts and paternity certainty.
- [52:00] Edward Wilson on biology and psychology.
- [53:00] Academics and practitioners on ideology; If you build a product against human nature you can have problems.
- [56:30] Male heros in romance novels.
- [58:00] Academic Hostility towards new ideas.
- [1:00:00] What do step dads (Human and Lion) have in common?
- [1:01:58] Number 1 predictor of child abuse.
- [1:03:00] How does our biological drive connect to us buying a porsche?
- [1:04:50] How can you protect yourself from advertisers?
- [1:06:10] How do you come to a conclusion from the data you collected?
- [1:07:25] What is your perspective on pronouns?
- [1:10:15] Positive psychological aspects of religion?
- [1:11:40] What excites you the most about evolutionary psychology?
- [1:14:00] How birth order affects our psychology?
- [1:16:40] The mobility and friendship issue in the US. How can we overcome it?
- [1:19:40] Academia and dissension. Is this a recent development?