My answer to What are the five most important things for a man to learn in life?
Answer by Jordan Thibodeau:
- The world owes you nothing.
- In our society, work is rewarded. And sometimes even if you work hard, you won’t be rewarded. It’s a harsh reality of life, but also a liberating one knowing that if you build your life on hoping others will validate you, most likely that will never happen. So carve your own path.
- No one cares about your past
- Born black, white, yellow, brown, rich, poor, abused, not abused, tall, short, and etc. no one cares about your past. AndIn the end, people may state they are touchy feely do gooders, but in the end when it comes down to promoting their lives or yours (in normal circumstances), they will choose to help themselves. And this isn’t a judgment about humanity, it’s how we operate. Understand this and realize that in our society you can choose who you want to be. Be the person you want to be, not the one others told you to be.
- The love you received from your mother, isn’t the same love you'll receive from your girl.
- The love you received your mother will never be replicated. It’s an unconditional acceptance of who you are warts and all. Addicted to drugs? Mama still loves you. Blew up a building? Mama still loves you. Stole mama’s money? Mama still loves you. This love is encoded into her DNA, as soon as you were born a rush of oxytocin rushed into your mama’s veins which told her this child is hers and she will defend it to the death.
- As for your girl, that’s different. Odds are your girlfriend likes/loves you based upon if you can show her a good time (no that doesn’t mean spending money, that means by being interesting, smart, and funny). Will she care and nurture you if you screw up? Yes. Will she love you unconditionally? Most likely not. She’s not looking for a man to nurture, she’s looking for a man to grow with and maybe one day to provide her with a baby to nurture. (Anyways, who really wants a second mama to nag you? 🙂 ).
- You don’t have to dance to society’s tune.
- You think everyone agreed with MLK and Gandhi when they tried to improve the lives of hundreds of millions of people? Of course not, so neither should you when you try to embark on your life. People won’t agree with your decisions. That’s great, because you now know you’re carving your own unique path. Of course there’s limits to this, if you told me you wanted to do meth, you shouldn’t.
- Because someone tells you to list 5 things, doesn’t mean you have to 🙂 (see 4)